… rather than promoting a flourishing, diverse, and pluralistic society, the “Equality Act” would mandate federal government overreach and censorship of Americans from all walks of life. All For Freedom
We’ve heard the term “cancel culture” a lot lately:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Cancel culture (or call-out culture) is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those who are subject to this ostracism are said to be “cancelled”.1 Merriam-Webster notes that to “cancel”, as used in this context, means “to stop giving support to that person”2 while Dictionary.com, in its pop-culture dictionary, defines cancel culture as “withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive.”3 The expression “cancel culture” has mostly negative connotations and is commonly used in debates on free speech and censorship.
The notion of cancel culture is a variant on the term call-out culture and constitutes a form of boycotting involving an individual (usually a celebrity) who is deemed to have acted or spoken in a questionable or controversial manner.24567
For those at the receiving end of cancel culture, the consequences can lead to loss of reputation and income that can be hard to recover from.8
All for Freedom shares some of immediate consequences of such legislation when passed in state law:
- In Connecticut, a young woman watched as her childhood dream of winning high school track competitions and earning a college scholarship was unfairly snatched from her by two high school boys who identify as female.
- In Alaska, government officials are demanding that a women’s shelter allow men to sleep three feet away from women who have been trafficked and abused.
In Pennsylvania, government officials forced a foster-care provider to stop serving kids in need because of its commitment to placing children in homes with a mother and father.
- These stories aren’t mere hypotheticals. These are the stories of real victims. And yet some groups are promoting federal legislation that, if enacted, would create victims like these and many more across the nation.
One of the main ways that Democrats have enacted cancel culture is by passing state laws known as SOGI laws because they add “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” to protected class status.
From the article:
Under the misleadingly titled “Equality Act”:
- Women and girls would be forced to forfeit hard-earned equality rights and opportunities;
- Children in our overloaded child welfare systems would face unprecedented obstacles to finding a loving home;
- Doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers who are committed to upholding the Hippocratic Oath to “do no harm” would be forced out of our already-overloaded healthcare system, and patients would be subjected to ideologically driven and medically inappropriate treatments;
- People of goodwill who hold beliefs about marriage and human sexuality that the government doesn’t like would face government coercion and punishment; and
- Americans would be forced to surrender their constitutionally protected freedoms.
According to FlashPoint:
Live Action News describes it as ‘a club to punish dissent’:
UPDATE, 2/26/21: Yesterday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Equality Act by a vote of 224-206. Three Republicans joined House Democrats in voting for the measure.
2/24/21: The Equality Act is being billed as an effort to legally end discrimination against individuals based on sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation. But in reality, the Equality Act actually ensures that both preborn human beings and those who refuse to take part in their deaths through abortion will face overwhelming discrimination. It does not allow religious freedom to be used as an objection to participating in abortion, which is the deliberate killing of children in the womb.
The Equality Act is not only unconstitutional denying rights that used to be considered self-evident: that all men are created equal, it endangers and cancels women completely. Here is one example:
As a graphic/website designer (now retired), I have empathized with Jack Phillips who simply chose not to bake a cake:
Alliance Defending Freedom begins their solution response with the following summary:
America’s ongoing legacy is one of freedom and prosperity for all of her citizens. To ensure freedom and prosperity for the next generation, we must never cease to stand for the freedom of all—even those with whom we might disagree.
America is a tolerant and inclusive nation, filled with a diversity of people, beliefs and ideals. As we continue to live and work together, let us always embrace the foundation that unites us. We can disagree on so many things. But we must simply agree on the principle that our laws must preserve the freedom of all.
LifeSite Action Center makes it easy for you to contact your US House Representative and Senators. Although the House has already passed the bill, we can still make it clear that those who supported the bill will not be re-elected.
Speak now or forever hold your peace has never meant more that it does today!